Today I am sharing my recipe for Soft Buckwheat Vanilla Pancakes, that are fluffy, moist and speckled with vanilla. This recipe uses buckwheat flour, baking powder, sugar, eggs, vanilla paste and coconut milk and is a gluten and dairy-free recipe.
All props featured here are from my new shop – click to buy.
What is Buckwheat?
Buckwheat flour has a low GI and you can add a little of it to almost any recipe that calls for regular flour.
It is gluten-free and a good source of calcium and protein.
The flavour is rich and nutty and is darker in appearance than normal flour.
I wanted to make these pancakes super vanillery (is that a word?) so I used vanilla paste instead of extract, which I got from Mauritius.
If you do not have vanilla paste, you can buy online (Faithful to Nature stocks) or you can use vanilla extract.
Soft Buckwheat Vanilla Pancakes
- 1 cup buckwheat flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp sugar / coconut sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup coconut or dairy milk
- 2 tbsp oil / coconut oil
- 1/2 tsp vanilla pastes or 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Mix dry ingredients together
- In a separate bowl whisk wet ingredients until frothy
- Add wet ingredients to dry and mix well
- Heat some extra oil in a non stick pan over a medium heat and dollop 2tbsp of batter into a circle to make a pancake / crumpet.
- Cook until bubbles form and then flip and cook till brown
- Serve with maple syrup, vanilla coconut yoghurt and fruit.
Try other pancakes here: Coconut and Yoghurt Pancakes