This is my super easy, super quick, 30-minute Tomato & Basil Soup recipe. The recipe has a very simple hack in that I used a combination of juicy, plump Romanita tomatoes, as well as a bottle of Romanita Tomato juice, which is a fast way to punch flavour into a tomato soup when you have limited time.
From start to finish, this soup will take you 30 minutes to prepare and cook, so a great meal to make when you are short on time.
What’s in the Tomato & Basil Soup?
Keeping to my low dairy diet, besides the tomatoes, this soup uses coconut cream as a topping and nutritional yeast to give the soup a cheesy taste – as Parmesan would do.
I am currently obsessed with nutritional yeast flakes, adding them to soups, sauces and pasta dishes. They are the perfect solution for people like me who need a flavour-filled cheese substitute (when reducing one’s dairy). Nutritional yeast is also an amazing source of protein, B vitamins and folic acid – perfect for vegans or vegetarians who find it difficult to attain enough of these nutrients.
Making the Soup
Making this soup is very easy and once your romanita tomatoes are finished sautéing, you add in your tomato juice and simmer. The final step is to add a combination of water, nutritional yeast and cornflour, which will help the soup to become richer and thicken up.
I garnished the soup with a drizzle of coconut milk, more basil and some french loaf, but you could also top with croutons, bacon bits, serve with a grilled cheese sandwich or even add some pasta shells!
This 30-minute Tomato & Basil Soup is best served hot, but can also be frozen if you are planning meals ahead of time.
Keep warm this weekend!
30-minute Tomato and Basil Soup
- stick / hand blender
- chopping board
- wooden spoon
- 1 Bottle ZZ2 Romanita Tomato Juice
- 1 punnet of ZZ2 Rosa Tomatoes
- 2 handfuls of fresh basil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp. butter or Olive Oil
- 1 heaped teaspoon cornflour
- 1 tbsp. of nutritional yeast purchase at any health shop
- Coconut cream for garnishing
- First, chop your ZZ2 Romanita tomatoes in half
- Then, in a medium pot, melt the butter on a slow heat
- When the butter starts to bubble, or if you used olive oil, when it gets hot, add in your chopped tomatoes, salt and pepper to taste, as well as a handful of basil leaves (no need to chop them)
- Sautee your tomatoes until soft (5 min usualland then pour in the whole 750ml bottle of tomato juice. You most likely won’t need to season any further as this tomato juice is super flavourful.
- Simmer for 15 minutes and then using a hand /stick blender, carefully blitz the tomato soup until smooth.
- Now make a paste of 20ml of water, the cornflour and the nutritional yeast. Stir this paste into the soup and return to heat for another five minutes, during which time the soup will thicken up slightly. FYI - The nutritional yeast is a great way to add a rich creamy flavour to the soup, without adding any cream of cheese.
- Remove soup from heat, pour into bowls and top with more basil, as well as a drizzle of coconut cream, or cream if you’d prefer.
Did you make this recipe?
Tag me at #LeFamishedCat @LeFamishedCat
This recipe was proudly created for ZZ2 Tomatoes.