It is still winter. I am still cold. I am still eating soup. And you can too.
Here is a recipe for my Healthy Roast Butternut, Orange and Sage Soup, which is packed with flavour from the Orange and Sage, is creamy and rich, but without the unhealthy cream.
This soup is:
– Dairy free
– Gluten Free
– Vegetarian (duh)
- 1 Whole Butternut
- 1 Orange
- Zest of the orange
- 2 Potatoes cut into small cubes
- Handful of sage
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 30ml of coconut oil
- 100ml of coconut cream
- 1 litre or so of Water
- Vegetable stock cube
- 2 – 3 slices of Gluten Free Bread
1. Preheat oven to 200 degrees and grease a roasting tray with the coconut oil
2. Slice butternut into disks (you can leave skin on) and season with salt and pepper
3. Place onto a roasting tray and scatter half the sage over the butternut
4. Roast butternut for 20 – 30 minutes or until golden brown, then remove from oven and carefully peel of the skin around the edges. (it should easily slide off, if it’s a bit hard, use a spoon or small knife to pry the flesh from the skin)
5. Into a medium saucepan, place 1 L of boiling water, the stock cube, chopped up potatoes, butternut flesh, more sage leaves, orange juice and zest, and place on high heat on the stove until it starts to boil.
6. Once soup starts to boil, turn down to a simmer. Let the soup simmer for 30 or so minutes or until the potatoes are soft
7. Using a handheld /jug blender, blitz the soup into a lump-free smooth consistency. If you don’t have a blender, use a potato masher in the pot to smooth out the soup and a sieve to strain further
8. Now stir in half the coconut cream and simmer for a further 2 – 3 minutes. Taste and season with more salt / pepper if required, before pouring into a bowl
9. Serve with the Gluten Free croutons (recipe below), and a swirl of coconut cream
1. Butter your GF bread, place on a wire rack in the oven (with a roasting tray underneath) and grill on high until toasty and dry, then cut into squares and season with salt.
2. Scatter on top of soup when ready to eat and enjoy!