Happy Monday Guys and it’s a four day week so no reason to feel the Monday Blues 🙂
So, over the weekend I had a beautiful bag of these bright orange Sweet Potato chunks that were just staring at me from the fridge that I thought I’d experiment with.
First – lets have an honest moment here.
Truth: Probably only about 60% of what I make, do I blog about – the rest is just a gold old fashioned flop!
The thing is, when you substitute milk and flour with other alternative ingredients such as soya, almond and gluten free flours, it is a very difficult balancing act and sometimes you end up with sloppy, yuck, inedible messes, which is all part of the recipe development I guess. Suck it up buttercup.
So when a recipe does actually work I consider it a small miracle! Recipe for these crumpets are below and a very basic video tutorial too on Facebook.
- 100 g Sweet Potato Chunks (I used the Orange flesh variety)
- 2Tbs of runny honey
- 15ml of Cinnamon
- 150 ml of Nature’s Choice Gluten Free Cake Flour
- 5 ml Baking Powder
- 1 egg (medium)
- 125 ml of Almond Milk
- 2 tsp Vanilla Essence or two small cap fills
- Coconut Oil for frying
- Microwave the Sweet Potato on high until cooked through. Drain all water
- Mash sweet potato with a fork and add the honey, cinnamon, cake flour, baking powder, egg, almond milk, vanilla essence. Mix well until a smooth batter forms.
- Fry the batter in small dollops on a medium to high heat in a decent amount of the coconut oil. Fry them for about 4-5 minutes on each side.
The coconut oil can tolerate high heats for a longer period of time, which Is why I recommend using it, as these crumpets take longer to cook.
Serve with more honey, cinnamon, or even chocolate sauce or maple syrup.