Today’s recipe is a purple Blueberry Moon Milk – a concoction of dairy-free milk, fragrant spices, a tart blueberry flavour, all mellowed out by sweet maple syrup. While I did not come up with the idea of Moon Milk, this concoction is my own recipe I was inspired to make when I received a box of goodies from Chayah Foods.
Just like when your mom used to make you a warm glass of milk and honey before bed, Moon Milk can calm you into slumber and has the added benefit of soothing your tummy – depending on what ingredients you use.
The drink is used in the ancient holistic practice of Ayurveda, as a remedy for sleep deprivation and is usually consumed before bed.
Making the Blueberry Moon Milk
One of the items used in this Blueberry Moon Milk is Blueberry powder, which is essentially freeze-dried Blueberries crushed into a powder. The powder can then be used in smoothies, beverages and baking. Since this is a purple moon milk, blueberry powder is essential to giving this moon milk its hue. Besides being pretty, dried blueberries pack a nutritional punch too – giving you a boost of vitamin C, B complex, E and A, copper, selenium, manganese, zinc, dietary fibre and even iron.
Then come the spices. I added in some cinnamon, a pinch of nutmeg and most importantly – Maca powder. Traditionally, Moon Milk should contain one Adaptogen herb.
What are adaptogenic herbs?
Adaptogens are a unique group of herbal ingredients, used to improve the health of your adrenal system, the system that is in charge of managing your body’s hormonal response to stress. They are called adaptogens because of their unique ability to “adapt” their function according to your body’s specific needs. So if you are feeling stressed out from the first few days of work – then why not give a glass of Adaptogenic Moon Milk a try?
There are a ton of Moon Milk recipes to try out and I will be posting another one soon for more inspiration 🌙
This Blueberry Moon Milk is
- Comforting and includes an adaptogen (Maca) to help you chill out before bedtime
- Naturally vegan & gluten-free and dairy free too if you use non-dairy milk
- Packed with the Blueberries punch of vitamins
- Is delicious and creamy – without any cream 😁
Enjoy you Moon Milk & sleep tight!
Blueberry Moon Milk
- 2 cups Milk You can use normal milk, almond milk, rice milk, soya milk, the choice is yours
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- ½ Tsp Nutmeg
- 1 heaped Tsp Chayah Blueberry Powder
- 1 TBS Maple Syrup
- Mix all the ingredients together in bowl
- Pour into a small saucepan and heat over a low heat, removing Moon Milk before boiling point.
- Pour into a mug and enjoy! I topped mine with edible cornflower flowers from Chayah Foods
Follow me on Instagram for more….