Hands up if you’d like a warm mug of Pink Beet Moon Milk? This pretty pink drink isn’t filled with colourants, but rather uses Beetroot Powder, Maca and some aromatic spices…
If you’re in dire need of a peaceful nights sleep before the week begins, it might be time to sip on a warming cup of moon milk. It is my second time blogging about Moon Milk – but in case you didn’t see my last post, Moon Milk is a drink used in the ancient holistic practice of Ayurveda, as a remedy for sleep deprivation and is usually consumed before bed.
Making the Soothing Pink Beet Moon Milk
One of the items used in this Pink Moon Milk is Beetroot Powder, which is essentially freeze-dried beetroot, crushed into a powder. The powder can then be used in smoothies, beverages and baking.
Since this is pink moon milk, beetroot powder is essential to giving this moon milk its hue. Besides being pretty, beetroot powder packs a nutritional punch too.
According to research, beetroot powder has very few calories, contains a variety of vitamins, minerals (especially potassium), and antioxidants.
However, the secret to beets power is nitrates – which doctors say dilate blood vessels – allowing for increased blood flow in the body. This subsequently reduces recovery time in between exercising, while also reducing fatigue!
What makes beetroot powder so awesome is that you do not have to consume 6 -8 beetroots to produce enough nitric oxide to reap these blood flow benefits.
The powder has these benefits – in an easier to consume form.
What are adaptogenic herbs?
Then come the spices. I added in some cinnamon, a pinch of nutmeg and most importantly – Maca powder. Traditionally, Moon Milk should contain one Adaptogen herb.
Adaptogens are a unique group of herbal ingredients, used to improve the health of your adrenal system, the system that is in charge of managing your body’s hormonal response to stress. They are called adaptogens because of their unique ability to “adapt” their function according to your body’s specific needs.
If Beetroot isn’t your vibe, why not try my Blueberry Moon Milk recipe?
This Pink Beet Moon Milk is
- Comforting and includes an adaptogen (Maca) to help you chill out before bedtime
- Naturally vegan & gluten-free and dairy-free too if you use non-dairy milk
- Packed with the Beetroot’s punch of vitamins
- Is delicious and creamy – without any cream 😁
Enjoy your Moon Milk & sweet dreams!
Soothing Pink Beet Moon Milk
- 200 ml Milk of your choice, I used Almond
- 1 tsp beetroot powder chayah foods
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp maca powder dischem
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- flower petals decorating
- Place your milk, beetroot powder, Maple Syrup and spices in a saucepan and simmer until warm, whisking vigorously to infuse.
- Pour your Moon Milk into a high powered blender along with maca powder and then blitz for 30 seconds
- Pour into your favourite cup, top with dried flower petals (optional) and sleep tight!
Disclaimer: While this post is not paid for, Chayah Foods is a client of mine.