Friday is here and what better way to celebrate than with Gluten & Dairy Free Merlot and Chocolate Brownies? It’s no secret I am in LOVE with a range of products that I have discovered from Chayah Foods. I have already made a Matcha Blue Smoothie Bowl and Blueberry Moon Milk. There was another product that got my creative juices flowing – their Merlot Flour.
Say what? Merlot Wine Flour?
This flour is real and is perfect in any recipe to add flavour, colour and even nutrition. Its taste is just like a good Merlot – but in powdered form! It is naturally gluten-free as well as alcohol free, but I found that it still gave the brownies a winey taste!
The Merlot & Chocolate Brownies
I did some research on Merlot Wine Flour and found that while you do not use the flour as a complete substitute, it can be added in as an enhancer to other flours. Chocolate and Wine already go together like Gin and Tonic – so the flavour is spot on.
All that was left was to get the ratios right – and I made a decision to use a recipe that I’d already created for Gluten Free Chocolate Brownies.
I guessed quantities of the recipe and luckily managed to get it right the first time.🤩 The icing I felt also needed to be wine flavoured, so I used a bottle of merlot and some icing sugar, playing around until I got the right consistency.
I have to say I am pretty chuffed with the results.
There isn’t a lot of the merlot flour in the blend, but there is enough to give the brownies a winey flavour that is intriguing and delicious.
You can buy your Merlot Flour from Chayah Foods website at a cost of R139 for 40g. (I do not make anything of the purchase 😁)
I am also running an Chayah Foods giveaway on Instagram if you would like to play around with some of their goodies too.
And now for the Merlot & Chocolate Brownie recipe….
Gluten and Dairy Free Merlot Chocolate Brownies
For the Brownies
- 1 cup Caster Sugar
- 1/3 cup coconut flour
- 3/4 cup very good quality cocoa powder
- 1 TBS of Merlot Wine Powder
- Pinch of Salt
- 21/2 tablespoons coconut oil melted but not hot
- 1 tablespoon vanilla essence
- 3 large eggs
For the Merlot frosting:
- 1 cup of icing sugar
- 1/3 cup good quality cocoa powder
- 4 TBS Merlot Wine
- 1 Tsp Almond Milk
- Preheat the oven to 175 °C and line a 20cmx20cm pan with baking paper.
- You need two bowls for this recipe. In one bowl, stir together the sugar, flour, cocoa powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In the second bowl, stir together the melted coconut oil, vanilla and eggs. Stir until combined.
- Add the dry mixture to the wet and stir until combined, ensuring not to overmix
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 16-20 minutes or until the brownies appear set in the middle, with a little bit of a gooey appearance
- Let the brownies cool completely in the pan and then prepare the frosting.
- Mix all frosting ingredients together, let cool for about 20 minutes and then pour over the brownies.
- Place the pan in the refrigerator and chill for 1-2 hours or until the frosting is firm and cut into squares