Happy Hump Day and today’s blog post is an easy recipe for a Beet, Radish & Walnut Salad, on a bed of fresh rocket, with a simple vinaigrette dressing.
Thing is, often times raw beet can taste like dirt. A few of you have asked me about this before, and no you are not alone – beetroot can have a very ‘earthy’ taste. My way around this is to boil and then roast the beet in a bit of sweetness – in this instance I used maple syrup. By roasting the beetroot it is given a caramelised, charred flavour which minimises that taste that some of us don’t like.
This Beet, Radish & Walnut Salad
This salad is loaded with fresh rocket, feta cheese, pickled radish (which you can easily do yourself), raw walnuts and a vinaigrette sweetened with maple.
The recipe serves 2 as a main meal or 4 as a side dish.
It is gluten-free and the feta cheese can easily be replaced with lactose-free versions if you’d prefer or left out entirely. My sister said she would have preferred it with Goats cheese, so maybe I will try that again next time.
Here is the very simple salad recipe, I hope you enjoy!
Beet, Radish & Walnut Salad
- 40 g rocket washed
- 2 wheels feta cut into cubes
- 2 small beetroot fresh
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- salt & pepper to taste
- olive oil extra virgin
- 5 small radishes
- 120 ml vinegar white
- 15 ml sugar
- 50 g raw walnuts
- Pickling juice from the radishes
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- To make the salad, first boil your beetroot whole for 20 minutes or so, ensuring it is not completely soft.
- Cut into cubes and place on a baking tray, which has been coated with olive oil and salt and pepper . Roast at 200C for 30 minutes or so and 5 minutes before removing, add your maple syrup to caramelize the beet in the last few minutes of cooking.
- While your beet is cooling, make your pickled radishes. Slice your radishes first into paper thin slices.
- Mix vinegar with sugar and let your radishes soak in this mixture
- Assemble the salad by placing rocket on plate or in bowl, topping with cubed feta, cooled beetroot and walnuts.
- Remove the radishes from pickling juice and add to salad.
- To make the vinaigrette,, just add maple syrup to the pickling juice and viola, you will have a dressing. which you can drizzle over the salad.
Did you make this recipe?
Tag me at #LeFamishedCat @LeFamishedCat