Speckled Egg Easter Cupcakes, the perfect bake for an Easter Sunday Lunch. They are super fun to make and will look so pretty on the table at lunch! You can make your own cupcakes from scratch or use a premix if your short on time. Below is a Vanilla cupcake version with the remainder of the decor ingredients you will need.
Speckled Egg Easter Cupcakes
- 250g Diced Butter (room temp)
- 2 cups Caster Sugar
- 2 cups Cake flour
- 1 cup Full Cream Milk
- 4 Large, Free Range Eggs
- 1 Vanilla Pod, with seeds, scraped out
- 1 ½ tsp. Royal Baking powder
- 300g Icing Sugar
- 200g Diced Butter (Room Temp)
- 80g Cocoa Powder
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 20 – 30 ml Full Cream Milk
Desiccated Coconut, Green Food Colouring, Fondant Flowers (I made mine, but you can purchase at a Baking Shop), Speckled Eggs
- Preheat the oven to 180°C & line a muffin pan with cupcake holders
Whisk together the caster sugar and the butter until the mixture is light and fluffy – this should take around 3 minutes by hand, but a minute and a half if with an electric mixer
Whisk the eggs in a separate bowl until they are light and fluffy and then add this mixture into the butter and sugar and mix till incorporated. Next, add the milk and scraped vanilla bean seeds to this mixture, mixing well
Sift the cake flour and the baking powder and add to the liquid mixture, mixing well. Spoon the batter into cupcake holders ¾ of the way full and bake for approx. 20 minutes until the cupcakes are golden brown
- Next make your Butter Cream Icing. Start by adding your butter to an electric mixer and beating until it is lighter in colour. Then add in your Vanilla Extract and icing sugar in batches, followed by your cocoa. Add in the milk as you need to loosen the icing slightly but ensure not to make the icing too runny. (You don’t have to use all the milk)
To make the grass for the nests, add a few drops of green food colouring to your desiccated coconut and mix until it goes green. Once your cupcakes are cooled, spread some icing on top of them and sprinkle the coconut grass on top.
Then add your butter cream to a piping bag and use a small round tip to swirl the birds nest look. Top off with the speckled eggs and fondant icing flowers.
Happy Easter Bunnies x
Here’s another Easter recipe to try: Make Speckled Egg Easter Fudge