A recipe for a deliciously creamy gluten-free Chenin Blanc Mushroom Risotto, cooked in Leopards Leap Chenin Blanc, mushroom stock and parmesan.
Chenin Blanc is known to be one of the most versatile wines to cook with and is light and subtle in flavour, so why not try to use it your next risotto, stew or curry?
Here are my top tips for a perfect risotto:
- Stirring the rice is important, but don’t over stir as the mixture will become gluggy
- Like pasta, the rice should be al dente, just cooked, with a little bite to it.
- Only add parmesan at the end
Enjoy the recipe for this Chenin Blanc Mushroom Risotto!
Chenin Blanc Mushroom Risotto
- butter & oil for frying
- 2 cups chopped assorted mushrooms Shimeji, Porcini, Shitake
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 spring onions
- 500 g Arborio risotto rice
- 500 ml Leopard’s Leap Chenin Blanc
- 5 litres Mushroom stock/chicken/vegetable stock (hot)
- 50 g butter
- 1/2 cup Parmesan grated
- 100 ml coconut cream / or cream
- 2 tbsp chopped parsley
- 1 zest and juice of lemon
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 TSP dried thyme
- Heat a pan, suitable for cooking risotto, over a high heat. Add enough olive oil & butter & sauté the mushrooms. Once cooked, remove the mushrooms from the pan and set aside.
- Using the same pan, add an extra knob of butter and cook the spring onions until translucent
- Add the rice to the pan and stir. Add the wine and thyme and allow to cook until all the liquid is absorbed. Over a medium heat, add two large ladles of stock at a time, stirring continually.
- Once the liquid has been absorbed, add another two ladles of stock and continue the process until the rice is cooked. After about 10 minutes of cooking the rice, place the mushrooms back into the pan with rice and remainder stock.
- Once the rice is cooked, remove the pan from the heat.
- Add the butter, cream, cheese, lemon juice/zest, parsley, salt and pepper without stirring.
- Allow to rest for 5 minutes, covered with a lid or tinfoil. Once rested, stir the risotto pan to incorporate the ingredients
- Serve immediately with a glass of the 2017 @leopardsleap Culinaria Chenin Blanc
This recipe is proudly sponsored by Leopards Leap