Today’s post is my how-to guide for creating a Healthy Three-Course Valentine’s Dinner …
Either you hate it or you love it – but February is here – aka the month of love. I have never really been the biggest fan of Valentine’s Day, mostly because I think it is far to commercialised.
Do not even get me started on the retail madness that ensues on the overpriced (ugly) flowers, chocolates and teddy bears. 🤢
Even if Shaun and I did choose to partake in the madness, we have a wedding to save for, so we are eating in a lot this year!
Which brings me to this dinner.
Eat at Home: Healthy Three-Course Valentine’s Dinner
Whether its bae or best friend, you can wow them with a simple, healthy 3-course meal that you don’t have to spend a fortune on.
What’s on the Menu?
First up, my take on a healthier, tummy friendly Ciabatta, topped with avo, pickled radish, feta and beetroot.
Then, for mains, a healthier Sage and Mushroom (vegetarian) risotto, made with portobello mushrooms and pearl barley.
Finally, the sweetest little gluten free cupcakes, featuring a recipe that makes exactly two cupcakes.
If you preparing this dinner after work, I would advise making the cupcakes the night before (Wednesday) and then doing the starters and main on the night. (Thursday)
If you run into any trouble, let me know in the comments section below, and tag me if you do decide to do this three-course dinner!
STARTER – HEALTHIER AVO, FETA & BEETROOT CIABATTA
Healthier Avo, Feta and Beetroot Ciabatta
- 2 slices Gluten Free Seed Bread woolworths or jacksons
- 1/2 avocado
- 6 rosa tomato's sliced
- 1 block feta cheese
- 3 slices beetroot picked, from jar
- lettuce leaves your choice
- salt & pepper to taste
- Lemon juice to taste
- 3 radishes sliced
- 15 ml vinegar
- 5 ml sugar
- Mash your avo with a fork and add salt, pepper and lemon juice to taste
- Add your sliced radishes to a small bowl and pickle them in 15 ml of vinegar and 5 ml of sugar.
- Cut your beetroot into small little cubes and shred your lettuce
- Toast your bread until brown and put each piece of toast on a small plate, then halve avo mixture and gently spread over the toast.
- Divide the beetroot, feta, lettuce and tomatoes and pile on top. Remove radishes from vinegar and sugar mixture and place on the ciabatta. Season further to serve if required.
MAIN – MUSHROOM & SAGE BARLEY RISOTTO
Mushroom & Sage Barley Risotto
- 1 vegetable stock cube
- 3 cups hot water
- 1 punnet portobello mushrooms washed and thinly sliced
- coconut oil
- sage leaves fresh
- 1 cup pearl barley
- 1/2 cup coconut cream
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp fresh chives chopped
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan
- Add the stock cube to the hot water and mix until the cube is dissolved. Set aside, preferably in a glass jug
- Place a saucepan on the stove and add 1 TBS of coconut oil. Fry the chopped up chives and a few sage leaves for 1 minute on a high heat.
- Now add the sliced mushrooms and fry for two minutes, lowering the heat slightly
- Add in the pearl barley and toast for another minute
- Now, slowly start to add a ladle at a time of the stock and simmer the barley risotto over a low heat
- Everytime the water gets low, add another ladle of stock. After about 40 minutes the barley risotto should be about ready.
- Now add the coconut cream and parmesan and cook for a further 5 minutes.
- Season to taste and top with more parmesan to serve
DESSERT – CUPCAKES FOR TWO
Healthy Three-Course Valentine’s Dinner
Healthier Valentines Cupcakes
For the Cupcakes
- 3 Tbsp caster sugar
- 1/4 cup gluten free flour woolworths
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder cadbury
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 egg white room temperature
- 2 tablespoons almond milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
For the icing
- 4 tablespoons of butter room temperature
- 2/3 cup powdered sugar
- 2 Tbsp Cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon rosewater
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1 tablespoon beetroot juice
- 2 tbsp Dried Marigold Petals chayah foods
- For the cupcakes Preheat oven to 180°C. Line a cupcake tin with cupcake papers for 2 cupcakes. Set aside.
- In medium bowl, mix the sugar, flour, cocoa powder and baking soda. Add the oil, egg white, almond milk, and vanilla essence. Mix well.
- Pour into cupcake molds filling them 2/3 of the way and bake for 20 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool completely on a cooling rack.
- While the cupcakes are cooling, mix the softened butter, powdered sugar, rosewater, vanilla extract, salt, and beetroot juice in a medium bowl.
- Whisk until everything comes together and the frosting becomes light and fluffy. Transfer icing into an icing bag with your preferred tip.
- Frost your cupcakes, top with dried Marigold petals and enjoy.
Finally, I had to share this, Cosmo USA has a hilarious batch of relatable Valentines Day cards if you are looking to steer clear of that hallmark crap.
Here are some of my favourites.