Here’s a very short and sweet recipe for my Sweet and Salty Mango and Black Rice Salad. I picked some black rice up when visiting The Refillery because it’s the only place I have seen it in Jozi!
Black rice is known as ‘forbidden rice’ or ‘emperors rice’ because it used to be reserved for Chinese Royalty. Besides being gluten-free, it is higher in fibre than white rice, Black Rice also boasts 8.5g of protein per 100g! Here’s the recipe for a side salad using this awesome ingredient, or if you are feeling hungry – a salad for one!
Mango and Black Rice Salad
Sweet and Salty Mango & Black Rice Salad
- ½ mango cubed, skin removed
- ½ cup of Black Rice
- 10 snap peas
- ½ cup grated carrot
- ½ cup chickpeas drained.
- 1 Tbsp. Rice Vinegar
- 2 Tbsp. Tamari
- 3 Tbsp. Olive Oil
- 1/2 tsp fresh ginger finely grated
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- 2 tbsp. Water reserved from rice
- Boil your rice in water until cooked and then drain remaining water, reserving 2 tbsp for the dressing
- Make your dressing by combining all the above dressing ingredients together (whisk with a fork in a small bowl)
- Chop your mango into cubes, snap peas into thirds and grate your carrot.
- Toss this mixture into your cooled rice and add the dressing
- Serve and enjoy