Happy Hump Day and today’s blog post is an easy recipe for a Vibrant Beet Radish and Walnut Salad, on a bed of fresh rocket, with a simple vinaigrette dressing.
Thing is, oftentimes raw beet can taste like dirt. A few of you have asked me about this before, and no you are not alone – beetroot can have a very ‘earthy’ taste. My way around this is to boil and then roast the beet in a bit of sweetness – in this instance I used maple syrup. By roasting the beetroot it is given a caramelised, charred flavour which minimises that taste that some of us don’t like.
Vibrant Beet Radish and Walnut Salad
This salad is loaded with fresh rocket, feta cheese, pickled radish (which you can easily do yourself), raw walnuts and a vinaigrette sweetened with maple.
The recipe serves 2 as a main meal or 4 as a side dish.
It is gluten-free and the feta cheese can easily be replaced with lactose-free versions if you’d prefer or left out entirely. My sister said she would have preferred it with Goats cheese, so maybe I will try that again next time.
Here is the very simple salad recipe, I hope you enjoy!
Beet, Radish & Walnut Salad
- 40 g rocket washed
- 2 wheels feta cut into cubes
- 2 small beetroot fresh
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- salt & pepper to taste
- olive oil extra virgin
- 5 small radishes
- 120 ml vinegar white
- 15 ml sugar
- 50 g raw walnuts
- Pickling juice from the radishes
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- To make the salad, first boil your beetroot whole for 20 minutes or so, ensuring it is not completely soft.
- Cut into cubes and place on a baking tray, which has been coated with olive oil and salt and pepper . Roast at 200C for 30 minutes or so and 5 minutes before removing, add your maple syrup to caramelize the beet in the last few minutes of cooking.
- While your beet is cooling, make your pickled radishes. Slice your radishes first into paper thin slices.
- Mix vinegar with sugar and let your radishes soak in this mixture
- Assemble the salad by placing rocket on plate or in bowl, topping with cubed feta, cooled beetroot and walnuts.
- Remove the radishes from pickling juice and add to salad.
- To make the vinaigrette,, just add maple syrup to the pickling juice and viola, you will have a dressing. which you can drizzle over the salad.
Did you make this recipe?
Tag me at #LeFamishedCat @LeFamishedCat