These Gluten-Free Carrot Cake Muffins are the yummiest way to incorporate veggies into a sweet treat — especially when there is a swirl of dairy free, cream piled on top. The muffins are super easy to make and require two bowls and a whisk to make the batter, so your kids could even help you make them.
When they are done, they emerge from the oven fragrant with cinnamon and vanilla, and the dairy-free frosting with coconut chip topping helps to sweetly finish them up.
The Gluten-Free Carrot Cake Muffins
Let’s talk about some of the ingredients to make the Gluten-Free Carrot Cake Muffins themselves. You will need:
- Sunflower Oil – mildly flavoured and helps to ensure the gluten-free flour mixture doesn’t go dry
- Sugar: I used maple syrup in these muffins for sweetness but you could also use honey
- Eggs: Medium size should be good
- Flour: I used a combination of almond and coconut flours
- Spice: I used cinnamon, but you could also use All-Spice
- Freshly grated carrots: Ensure they are as finely grated as possible
- Nuts: I think walnut is a good combo for these muffins
- Dairy Free Cream – I used Orley Whip
- Coconut Chips – the best kind – as addictive as crack, Checkers Simple Truth Coconut Chips
Tip for Moist Muffins
The key to moist carrot muffins (YES I said MOIST) lies in grating the carrots yourself, as opposed to buying grated carrots, which can be dry. With the help of a box grater, use the fine section to grate thin and small threads.
Remember to only allocate the recommended amount of walnuts as per my recipe, to ensure the batter doesn’t dry out.
And that’s it, so HAPPY BAKING!
Gluten-Free Carrot Cake Muffins
- Muffin Tray
- wooden spoon
- measuring cups
- 150 g almond flour
- 2 tbsp. coconut flour
- 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup sunflower oil
- 2 tbsp. maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons vanilla essence
- 2 medium carrots finely grated
- 1 tbsp. crushed walnuts
- 250 ml Non Dairy Orley Whip
- 1 tbsp. icing sugar
- 40 g Salted Caramel Coconut Chips Simple Truth Checkers
Carrot Cake Muffins:
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°C and line a cupcake tin with 12 cupcake paper liners
- Get two bowls ready for mixing
- In bowl 1, combine the almond flour, coconut flour, baking soda, and cinnamon
- In bowl 2, combine the eggs, oil, maple syrup, and vanilla.
- Now mix the wet into the dry until you have a smooth batter.
- Lastly, fold in the grated carrot and crushed walnuts
- Divide the batter evenly between the cupcake cases, filling a third of the way full
- Bake the cupcakes for 20-25 minutes, until golden brown or until a toothpick inserted into the centre of the muffin comes out clean. Remove from the oven and allow to cool fully.
- Whip the Orley Whip with the icing sugar until peaks form
- Spoon onto the cupcake once the muffin is cooled
- Top with a sprinkling of coconut chips and serve
Check out this Blueberry Muffin recipe if you don’t like Carrot Muffins.
Did you make this recipe?
Tag me at #LeFamishedCat @LeFamishedCat