A hearty recipe on how to make Vegan Mushroom Stroganoff that you only need six ingredients to make. It’s dairy and gluten-free and made with Shimeji and Portabellini Mushrooms, coconut cream and is served over a bed of jasmine rice.
This Vegan Mushroom Stroganoff is a perfect Meat-Free Monday twist on an old classic. If you are trying to cut back on your meat intake, or just trying to eat more veggies, this recipe will be your go-to weekday meal.
Six Ingredient Vegan Mushroom Stroganoff
The best part is it only contains six ingredients. Portabellini Mushrooms, Shimeji Mushrooms, Coconut Cream, Rice, Chives and Lemon.
You will, of course, need a little oil (I used coconut), salt (I used Celery, but sea salt is perfect) and pepper.
An optional extra for added B-Vitamins and a cheesy taste is nutritional yeast.
Not essential, but If you do have it, add it! Read more about this magical ingredient here.
Browning Your Mushrooms
It is important to brown your mushrooms well to get a nice rich taste. Take your time when browning your sliced mushrooms and try not to move them around in the pan too often.
When the mushrooms are well cooked, you add coconut cream to create a creamy sauce that is, in fact, dairy-free. Serve with Jasmine Rice or Quinoa and your meal is now gluten-free!
Top with some chives and a squeeze of lemon for freshness and your Vegan Mushroom Stroganoff is complete.
Here is the recipe, enjoy!
How to Make Vegan Mushroom Stroganoff
served over a bed of jasmine rice.
- Non-Stick Pan
- chopping board
- Small Pot
- 250 g Portabellini Mushrooms
- 100 g Shimeji Mushrooms
- 1 can coconut cream
- chives chopped
- 1/2 Lemon
- 1/2 cup Jasmine Rice
- Salt & Pepper to taste I used Celery Salt
- 1 tsp nutritional yeast optional
- Boil rice according to packaging instructions and keep warm.
- Slice the Portabellini Mushrooms. Add coconut or olive oil to a pan and fry Shimeji and Portabellini over medium heat until golden brown, seasoning during the cooking process with salt and pepper.
- Pour in the entire can of coconut cream into the mushroom pan and simmer until reduced (should take around 10 minutes and the sauce will thicken). If using nutritional yeast, add now.
- To serve, add rice to bowl or plate, and top with the stroganoff.
- Garnish with chopped chives, pepper and a generous squeeze of lemon.