Gluten Free Chocolate Birthday Cake
For the Cake
- 290 grams Caster Sugar
- 220 grams Gluten Free Cake Flour Woolworths
- 80 grams Cocoa Cadbury
- 2 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Xanthan Gum
- 2/3 cup Sunflower or Canola Oil
- 4 large Eggs
- 1 1/3 cup Water
- 1 Tsp Vanilla Essense
For the Frosting
- 200 grams Good quality dark chocolate chopped into small pieces
- 200 grams coconut cream divided
- 1 cup Icing Sugar sifted
Preheat the oven to 180°C. Lightly grease two 15 or 20cm cake pans 2. In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, salt, and xanthan gum.3. Place the oil, eggs, water, and vanilla into another bowl and beat well.4. Blend in the dry ingredients, whisking for 1 minute and scraping the bottom and sides of the bowl after each addition.5. Once all of the dry ingredients have been added, whisk for a further two minutes, to make a smooth batter.6. Pour the batter into the prepared pans.7. Bake the cakes for 35 to 40 minutes - if unsure, check if the cake is done with a skewer. 8. Remove the cakes from the oven, and let them cool in the pan for at least and hour. Turn them out of the pans to cool completely on a rack.
For the frosting
1. In a pan, heat 1/2 cup of the coconut cream until hot.2. Place the chopped dark chocolate in a heatproof bowl, and pour over the boiling hot coconut cream. Allow to sit for 5 minutes, then stir it well until you get a glossy ganache. Allow to cool until only slightly warm.3. In a separate bowl, place the other 1/2 cup of coconut cream. Slowly, stir the chocolate ganache into the coconut cream and add a half a cup of the icing sugar. If it thickens quickly, do not add the other half cup of icing. 4 At the end, you should be left with a smooth, easily spreadable frosting ideal for decorating.
5. To assemble, layer the sponges together with the frosting and work quickly because this frosting dries very quickly and decorate!