I have been experimenting with all things blue this week and today is no exception and I have created a recipe for these Blue Matcha and Chocolate Cupcakes.
These Blue Matcha and Chocolate Cupcakes cupcakes are:
- Made with Gluten-Free Flour
- Make exactly two big cupcakes or three small cupcakes
- Contain Blue Matcha, a 100% Natural food colouring
The icing and decoration
The icing for these Blue Matcha and Chocolate Cupcakes is made with butter, icing sugar, cocoa powder, and some more matcha powder. I piped the icing with a star tip and topped with blue matcha petals.
What is Blue Matcha?
Blue matcha is a speciality blue tea, made from organic Butterfly Pea Flower. While this beautiful blue powder is still being researched to fully confirm it’s health benefits, it has been said to reduce stress and may improve memory.
Using Blue Matcha
There are tons of recipes on the internet using green matcha but not that many using blue – especially in South Africa.
So if you happen to be looking to purchase Blue Matcha, then Chayah Foods is the place to get it!
Blue Matcha and Chocolate Cupcakes
Blue Matcha and Chocolate Cupcakes.
For the Cupcakes
- 3 Tbsp caster sugar
- 1/4 cup gluten-free flour
- 1 teaspoon blue matcha powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 egg white
- 2 tablespoons almond milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- Pinch of Xantham gum
For the icing
- 4 tablespoons of butter
- 2/3 cup powdered sugar
- 2 Tbsp Cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon matcha powder
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla essence
For the cupcakes
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Line a cupcake tin with cupcake papers for 2 cupcakes. Setaside.
- In a medium bowl, mix the sugar, xantham, flour, matcha, and baking soda. Add the oil, egg white, almond milk, and vanilla essence. Mix well.
- Pour into cupcake molds filling them 2/3 of the way and bake for 20 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool completely on a cooling rack.
For the Icing
- While the cupcakes are cooling, mix the softened butter, powdered sugar, matcha, vanilla extract, salt in a medium bowl
- Whisk until everything comes together and the frosting becomes light and fluffy. Transfer icing into an icing bag with your preferred tip
- Frost your cupcakes, top with sprinkles or dried petals and enjoy
Disclaimer: For this Blue Matcha & Chocolate Cupcakes, I was gifted Blue Matcha Powder by Chayah Foods