‘Twas is the night before Christmas and it’s time to leave Santa some cookies under the tree. Turns out Santa is a bit health conscious this year and today’s recipe is a Gluten Free, refined sugar free Gingerbread Man. I cut these Gingerbread Men out with mini cutters but feel free to use any cookie cutter that you have in your kitchen.
24 Days of Christmas Recipes
Before we get into the recipe, can I take a minute though to pat myself on the back for creating 24 Recipes over the past twenty four days? 😱 It wasn’t easy and there were many days when I trashed the kitchen trying to get it all done. Or days when recipes just completely flopped. Days where I had little to no creativity in my head to come up with a thing. But I did it – and I am super proud of myself. Everyday I pushed my boundaries. I think that you have guys have enjoyed the recipes I have created and I hope they become firm favourites in your Christmas menu planning.
Ok let’s get to the FINAL recipe!
Gluten Free Gingerbread Men
These gingerbread cookies are gluten free and contain coconut sugar, which is healthier than conventional sugar. They also contain blackstrap molasses, which give the cookies their deep and dark rich flavour, as well as fragrant spices including cinnamon, ginger and allspice.
This batch of dough will make 10 or so bigger gingerbread men / 50 or so little ones or 30 round cookies.
They taste even better after a few days of being baked and really do smell like Christmas.
Give them as a gift or bake a batch tomorrow to surprise your guests.
Thank you for every comment, like and recipe save (Over 150 post saves on Instagram!!) over the past 24 days. It means the world to me.
Happy Baking and I wish you a very Merry Christmas, spent with the people you love.
Le Famished Cat
Healthier Gluten Free Gingerbread Men
For the gingerbread men
- ½ cup butter
- ½ cup coconut sugar
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup molasses
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 2 ¼ cup Gluten Free Flour Woolworths
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 all spice
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 ½ cup icing sugar
- 1 egg white
- 1 tsp vanilla essense
- 2 tsp water
For the cookies
- Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg, vanilla and molasses and mix until combined
- Cover dough and refrigerate for an hour as the dough will be too stick to use
- Preheat oven to 190 C and line a baking tray with baking paper
- Roll out the dough on a floured surface and cut out ginger bread men – I used mini cutters but any cutter will do
- Bake for 5 – 10 minutes depending on cookie size and thickness
For the royal icing
- Mix icing sugar, egg whites and vanilla essence until smooth and shinyAdd a bit of water to thin the icing sugar slightly or add some drops off food colouring
- Use a piping bag or a small sandwich bag to pipe eyes / mouth / buttons etc.