It’s the second last day of my 24 Days of Christmas blog posts and today’s recipe is a naughty but nice Gluten Free Christmas Coconut Cake. This cake is soft and scrumptious and the frosting is dairy free and uses only coconut cream. It’s the kind of cake that beckons you in every time you walk past it and its dead easy to make. Serve as a dessert or slice up and serve with tea and coffee.
Gluten Free Christmas Coconut Cake
For the Coconut Cake
- · 170g Salted Butter
- · ½ Caster Sugar
- · 3 Medium eggs
- · ½ cup Almond milk
- · 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- · 1 ½ cups ground almonds
- · ½ cup coconut flour
- · 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- · ½ teaspoon of baking soda
- · ½ Salt
What you need for the Coconut Cream Icing
- 1 can coconut cream chilled in can
- ½ cup Icing Sugar
- Handful of fresh cherries
- Star Sprinkles woolworths
For the Cake:
- Preheat your oven to 180°
- Grease a medium sized cake pan and line the bottom with baking paper
- Cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy - you can do this in a stand mixer or by hand using a whisk
- Add the eggs (one at a time), mixing until incorporated.
- Add almond milk and vanilla and beat until incorporated.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the ground almond, coconut flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet and mix thoroughly. Don't panic. It may not look like cake batter at this point.
- Spoon the batter into your prepared pan and bake for 35 to 40 minutes, but you will know the cake is ready as it will be golden brown and starting to pull away from the sides
- Let the cake cool in the pan for an hour
Instructions for the Coconut Cream Icing
- Chill coconut cream in the can in the fridge for an hour
- Open the can slowly and your cream should be at the top of the can
- Scoop the cream out of the can, whisk it in a bowl OVER an ice water bath for a minute or so
- Then add the icing sugar and whisk for a further 2 – 3 minutes
- Spread the cream over the cooled cake and sprinkle the cherries over the cake. Top with star sprinkles.