It’s day two of my 7 Days of Giveaways and today I am giving away a Happy Earth People Chickpea Pasta Hamper. Head on over to Instagram to enter. Even if you don’t win, you could still get a box of this gluten-free, high protein pasta and make a bowl of this Mushroom & Parmesan Chickpea Pasta!
If you haven’t heard of Happy Earth People – let me introduce you to this proudly South African brand, owned by Taleszia and Candice.
The girls have built their business around a very simple philosophy – that pulses are the nutritious superfood of the future.
Legumes (AKA pulses) include the dried pea, bean, and lentil families and are fantastic sources of protein and fiber, full of iron and loaded with antioxidants.
According to their website – they may even be the answer to climate change-related food security concerns, as they need very little water to grow and are nutritionally jam-packed! Plus, they’re soil enriching, leaving land even healthier after harvest.
Having discovered all the goodness that legumes hold, the ladies headed to the kitchen and rolled out their very first lentil pasta (with a wine bottle!)
The rest is, as they say, history and the Happy Earth People pasta is now stocked at Dischem, Faithful to Nature and Yuppiechef to name a few! 😍
The ladies ensured their packaging was environmentally friendly too – with no plastic in sight, just a biodegradable box.
Happy Earth People Chickpea Pasta Recipe
I received both the Lentil and Chickpea pasta and decided to use the Chickpea variant to create a recipe.
The Chickpea Pasta is:
- naturally gluten-free
- high in fibre and plant protein
- Only takes 6-8 minutes to cook!
I used two different types of mushrooms, including button and shimeji and a combination of soya milk and parmesan cheese to give this pasta a creamy texture, without actually using cream.
If you happen to make this recipe, please tag both Le Famished Cat and Happy Earth People on social media!
There are also a host of other recipes on the Happy Earth People website, such as Spicy Chickpea Tagine and Festive Pasta Salads.
Well done to this local brand for creating jobs and for doing so well, even when challenged by bigger retailers. 💙
Creamy Mushroom & Parmesan Chickpea Pasta
- 1 cup Happy Earth People Chickpea Pasta
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/12 tsp Corn flour
- 1 cup soya milk
- 2 tbs Olive oil
- 1,2 punnet shimeji mushrooms bottom ends cut off, washed
- 6 large button mushrooms washed and sliced
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese grated
- tsp mixed herbs
- Boil your pasta according to package instructions and drain
- Fry your mushrooms in olive oil and season with salt and cayenne pepper and mixed herbs. When they are completely browned, mix your corn flour with soya milk and stir well. Add half of this mixture to the mushrooms and simmer for a minute or so
- The sauce will start to thicken and when it does, add the remainder of the soya milk mixture and the grated parmesan cheese. Remove from heat
- Pour the sauce over your pasta and season further if required. I topped my bowl with shredded spinach.
Disclaimer: I was gifted Happy Earth People Chickpea Pasta to create a recipe with and one hamper to giveaway. 💙