Yes, you read that right- a recipe to make Gluten-Free Cinnamon and Sugar Doughnuts. Sound too good to be true? Well, it’s possible, because I have used coconut flour instead! ❄
Today’s Christmas recipe is a yummy snack or dessert table idea for your upcoming Christmas party.
The secret to these Gluten-Free Cinnamon and Sugar Doughnuts
Traditionally, doughnuts are deep-fried and they absorb a lot of cooking oil in the cooking process. In addition, many bakeries cook their doughnuts in shortening, a fat often loaded with trans-fats.
The solution – delicious baked doughnuts that are cooked in the oven with just a little bit of coconut oil and no added dairy.
It is super easy to make baked doughnuts at home and a lot healthier than the deep-fried versions. I purchased a doughnut pan at Home Stuff Hillfox, but you can also look for one online if easier.
You can either use a piping bag to pipe the mixture into the doughnut moulds, or you can use a large ziplock bag and just cut a hole in the corner.
You could also use a pancake premix to make these doughnuts, such as this version from Woolworths.
What Flour do you use?
For this recipe, I used coconut flour, gluten-free flour made solely from coconuts. Rich in fibre, research has shown it may promote stable blood sugar, good digestion, and heart health.
To make the doughnuts, I also used 6 eggs, vanilla essence, coconut oil, almond milk, sugar and cinnamon.
Gluten-Free Cinnamon & Sugar Doughnuts Variations
- If you don’t have almond milk, you can use cow’s milk, soya milk or coconut milk
- If you don’t want to use caster sugar, you can also use coconut sugar
- You could also slice open and sandwich the doughnut with cream and jam
Gluten-Free Cinnamon and Sugar Doughnuts
Gluten- Free Cinnamon & Sugar Doughnuts
- Doughnut Pan
- 1 cup coconut flour
- 1/2 cup coconut oil melted
- 1/4 cup caster sugar
- 6 medium eggs room temperature
- pinch salt
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 cup almond milk or dairy, coconut, soy
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 2 tbsp cinnamon
- 3 tbsp caster sugar
- Preheat oven to 180c
- Grease your doughnut pan very well
- Whisk the eggs, almond milk, coconut oil and vanilla together until frothy
- In a separate bowl, mix the dry ingredients together
- Now add the wet ingredients to the dry, stirring with a wooden spoon. Don't overmix
- Spoon the thick batter into the pan and only half fill the moulds.
- Bake for 20 - 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into a doughnut comes out clean
- Mix the sugar and cinnamon together and then roll the warm doughnuts in the mix to coat
- Store in an airtight container and eat within two days
Dont feel like Gluten-Free Cinnamon & Sugar Doughnuts? Make Healthy Spelt Doughnuts