Maple and Cinnamon Roasted Chickpeas are yummy little morsels that are perfect for the snack table, as a salad garnish or even as a crunchy topping for ice cream this Christmas.
Day 5 of my 24 Days of Christmas and today’s recipe is s healthy snack using the humble roasted Chickpea, but with a festive twist.
If you haven’t tried them yet, you are definitely missing out, as I have said before, Roasted Chickpeas are a revelation.
These perfectly seasoned chickpeas are great to have on hand when hunger strikes this festive season. Plus the aroma from them roasting in spices and sugar is just delish and makes the house smell very Christmassy.
Check out my 24 Days of Christmas here for even more inspiration.
How to make Maple and Cinnamon Roasted Chickpeas
For this recipe, you need one can of chickpeas, sugar, cinnamon, mixed spice, salt maple syrup and coconut oil. You will also need a baking tray and some baking paper.
The three most important tips I can give you to ensure your chickpeas are crispy:
- Make sure your chickpeas are dry before roasting
- Use as little coconut oil as possible (if 2 teaspoons seem too much, start with one)
- Turn off the oven at the end of baking, slightly crack the door, and leave the chickpeas in there to dry out and cool
You’ll be glad to know that these Maple & Cinnamon Roasted Chickpeas are gluten-free, dairy-free and naturally vegan.
Get the recipe below.
Maple and Cinnamon Roasted Chickpeas
Maple & Cinnamon Roasted Chickpeas
- baking sheet
- 1 can chickpeas
- 2 teaspoons coconut oil not heaped, levelled
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon mixed spice
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- Preheat oven to 190 degrees C.
- Drain chickpeas and rinse under cold water. Place chickpeas on a paper towel to dry. Peel the skin off the chickpeas for best results, but if you are short on time skip this step.
- In a small bowl, melt the coconut oil, cinnamon, mixed spice and sugar in the microwave for 15 1- 30 seconds. The oil must not get hot. Remove from microwave.
- Place chickpeas in this coconut oil bowl and stir until all of the chickpeas are evenly coated. Spread out the chickpeas on a large baking sheet and bake for 35-40 minutes, or until chickpeas are crunchy.
- Remove baking sheet from oven and drizzle maple syrup over chickpeas, tossing gently to coat. Allow to dry with the oven door open.
- Best eaten that day, as a snack, over ice cream or tossed into a salad