Make these Spelt Crepes with Blueberry Compote using eggs, spelt flour and almond milk, served with a sweet and slightly tangy blueberry compote topping.
Today’s recipe is triple-tested and is a convenient one-bowl mixture of batter, that you can make in under 3 minutes.
What is Spelt Flour?
Spelt flour comes from an ancient strain of wheat. It’s high in protein and has a nutty, flavour that’s sweeter and lighter than that of whole wheat.
Spelt is rich in vitamins and minerals such as magnesium, calcium, selenium, iron, manganese, zinc, vitamin E and B-complex vitamins. It is high in protein and lower in calories than wheat flour and also easier to digest than wheat.
Since I am not gluten-intolerant, but more gluten-sensitive I enjoy baking with spelt and I get mine from The Refillery.
I also made a simple blueberry compote using fresh blueberries, a little bit of sugar and a squeeze of lemon. The compote takes less than 10 minutes to make.
This blueberry crepe combination works well with the crepes, but you can also serve with cinnamon and sugar or cream and strawberries.
Spelt Crepes with Blueberry Compote
These delicious crepe’s with blueberry compote will become your go-to Sunday Breakfast recipe.
Simple to make and even easier to eat.
Time for the recipe and I hope you enjoy making these this morning.
Spelt Crepes with Blueberries
- measuring cups
- 1 cup spelt flour
- 2 large eggs
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil plus more for frying
- 1 cup almond or coconut milk
- 1 cup water
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 1 cup blueberries fresh not frozen
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 tbsp sugar or sugar substitute
- 1 tbsp lemon juice fresh
- Whisk eggs, almond milk, oil, water and vanilla together until light and fluffy
- Add spelt flour to this mixture whisking slowly till combined
- In a non-stick pan over medium heat, heat a 1tsp of oil. About 1/4 cup at a time, drop batter evenly onto pan, swirling it to evenly coat. Remember the first one is always a flop!😁
- Cook 2 - 3 minutes on one side, then flip and cook 1 minute more; repeat with remaining batter.
- While crepes are cooking start with your blueberry compote
- Combine the blueberries, water, sugar and lemon juice in a small saucepan. Cook over medium heat for about 5 -7 minutes. Serve warm over crepes