Today’s recipe is this warm and comforting Pantry Recipe of Egg Fried Rice, cooked with veggies, egg, chilli flakes and tamari.
With all the current COVID-19 drama, for the next few weeks, my recipe content will centre around easy pantry food recipes during self-isolation and this is my second offering – Egg Fried Rice.
For me, Pantry Recipes mean lunches or dinner ideas that can be thrown together with some staples most of us have in pantry or freezer. That means less going out to the shops.
Pantry Recipe: Egg Fried Rice
This concoction may not look super gourmet, but it’s surprisingly satisfying.
It is also very practical because you only need a few basic ingredients:
Egg, Rice, Frozen Veggies, Oil, & Salt. Bonus points if you have soya sauce, but that can also be substituted. 😉
Adaptions are welcome!
This is also a recipe you can easily adapt. You can use different veggies, more egg, brown rice, the options are endless really. You can even add meat, but be sure to adjust cooking times so that the meat is thoroughly cooked through.
I made this recipe using Tamari – A gluten-free soya sauce, but you can also use traditional soy sauce.
Got tinned Pineapple? You could also add that in towards the end of the cooking process.
Time for the recipe.
𝙴𝚐𝚐 𝙵𝚛𝚒𝚎𝚍 𝚁𝚒𝚌𝚎
- Wok or Large Pan
- 1 cup Rice
- 1 cup frozen veggies
- 2 large eggs optional, omit if no egg available or if vegan
- 15 ml oil sunflower, coconut, sesame/butter
- 1 tbsp Soya sauce or Tamari or sweet chilli or sriracha sauce
- salt to taste
- 1 lemon optional, garnishing
- pinch chilli flakes optional
- Boil preferred rice according to package instructions.
- In a small microwavable container, add 1 cup of frozen veggies, a good pinch of salt and 1/3 cup of water. Microwave on high for 4 minutes and drain.
- Whisk up 2 eggs with a pinch of salt and set aside (optional, omit if no egg available or if vegan)
- In a wok or pan, over medium heat, add 15ml of oil (OR sunflower, coconut, sesame/butter, whatever you have), and your veggies. Fry for 2 – 3 minutes.
- Add in your egg if you have at this point, and keep everything moving with a spatula.
- Seasoning time - You can use a tbsp. of soya, or salt to taste, sweet chilli sauce, chilli flakes, pepper, sriracha sauce or whatever flavour you have
- Now add your cooled rice and mix everything together, ensuring the rice is coated with all the flavour.
- Final touches – you can add a squeeze of lemon or a sprinkling of sesame seeds if you have. And there we go, Egg Fried Rice!