Today’s simple gluten-free lunch is a delicious recipe on How to Make Toasty Mushrooms and Quinoa. The quinoa is toasted in butter and spring onion first and then simmered slowly in vegetable stock, while the mushrooms are sauteed and then added at the end.
This meal is perfect for two people but can easily be doubled or tripled. It is gluten-free and vegetarian but can also be made vegan by using coconut oil instead of butter.
As I have said a few times before, Quinoa is one of my favourite food staples and I love to add to meals as it is a complete protein (contains all the essential amino acids) making it perfect to incorporate into your diet if you dont eat a lot of meat.
Making the Toasty Mushrooms and Quinoa
In this recipe, the mushrooms and quinoa are toasted separately and then mixed together at the end.
Between the nutty taste of the quinoa, the earthy mushrooms and the freshness of lemon, you will love this easy and healthy Toasty Mushrooms and Quinoa for lunch or dinner.
If you like, you could also add peas or corn, or whatever veggies you have in your fridge.
Time for the recipe, if you do happen to make it, please tag me on Instagram or Facebook!
Make Toasty Mushrooms & Quinoa
Toasty Mushrooms & Quinoa
- 250 g button mushrooms sliced
- 1 tbsp olive oil or butter
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 tablespoon butter or coconut oil
- 2 salad spring onions sliced
- ½ vegetable stock cube dissolved in 2 cups of hot water
- 1/2 lemon juiced
- 1 tbsp. grated Parmesan or nutritional yeast
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a medium pan, sauté the sliced mushrooms with a little bit of olive oil or butter until they are nice and toasty. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- In a large pot on medium-high heat, toast the quinoa in butter (or oil), stirring regularly, until fragrant (about 4 minutes)
- Add slices spring onion and sauté́ until softened.
- Turn down the heat and add the stock cube that has been dissolved in two cups of hot water. Stir every few minutes, making sure the quinoa does not dry up. If it does, add a little bit more water until it is cooked through.
- Just before all the liquid is gone, add the mushrooms, lemon juice, zest, and nutritional yeast (if using). Stir well for a few minutes, and then remove from the heat.
- Serve immediately with extra spring onion and season to taste.